MASTERCLASS @ OPALKA: SCREENPRINT
Copy of A Copy of A Copy of A
Masterclass at Opalka is a FREE, advanced art class for select high school students offered by Opalka Gallery at the Sage College of Albany. Each Masterclass will focus on a subject related to an exhibition on view at the gallery and will be taught by a Sage professor. Artwork from the Masterclass will be exhibited at the Little Gallery on Sage’s campus and may travel to regional high schools, corporate and government headquarters.
This fall’s Masterclass is a 8-week course that will introduce participants to diverse methods of printing. Copies, and especially multiples, will be considered and explored. Students will examine historical and contemporary uses of silk-screening and its ability to communicate as well as challenge. Participants will investigate the design and craft of screenprinting while also searching for and engaging in opportunities to form a concept or purposed message. Taught by Natasha Holmes, a visual artist and adjunct professor in Sage’s Art + Extended Media program, this Masterclass will provide hands-on instruction related to screenprinting, while also learning how to install and participating in college-level critiques. Students will also be given a Director’s tour of the Screenprint Biennial 2018 exhibition at Opalka Gallery, opening Thursday, November 1.
When & Where
Tuesdays, 6-8pm, October 16 to December 4 (8 sessions) + Gallery Reception on Friday evening, December 7
Art + Design Building, Sage College of Albany
140 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12280
All Capital Region high school students in grades 10, 11 or 12 may apply. Up to 15 students will be selected based on interest, merit and geographic location. Students interested specifically in screenprinting, looking to build their portfolios for art school, headed to or curious about applying to art school, or interested in experimenting with a new medium are encouraged to apply.
It’s easy! Simply submit:
- A letter of interest (including name and contact info., the name of the high school you attend, your email address, and your current age and grade)
- One letter of recommendation from a current or past teacher, and
- 2-3 samples of personal, visual artwork. Your samples do not have to be photography-based. Send us a photo or a scanned image of any artwork you have created that represents your skills and interests.
- Deadline: Sunday, October 7 at 11:59pm. Submissions must be filled out using the form below or mailed to Opalka Gallery, Sage College of Albany, 140 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- Contact: Judie Gilmore, Director, [email protected] or 518-292-1762